Plot & Quick Links

We have closed. Thank you for all who have participated and made this place awesome!

Welcome! This is a Lord of the Rings roleplaying game based on the trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien (book verse).

Frodo and Sam failed in their quest to destroy the one ring. It is lost in Mordor, and the two Hobbits had no choice but to turn back. The fate of Middle Earth once more is undecided.

Full Plot
Rules
Getting Started
Thread Timeline
Needed Characters
Staff Contacts

Shoutbox

Affiliates

RPG-D
Forever Night

Vote for us!

Our Button
Affiliate with us

Site Stats

Humans:7
Elves: 2
Hobbits: 4
Dwarves: 2
Peredhil: 1
Istari: 1

Credits

The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion and the rest of the Middle Earth literature belong to JRR Tolkien and the Tolkien estate, not us. This forum is purely fan-made and for entertainment purposes only. Thank you for creating this wonderful world.

One Ring to rule them all..
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

» Some Exotic Plot Ideas, Plotting
Chris
 Posted: Nov 7 2014, 23:55
Quote Post

Group: Administrator
Player: N/A
Character Page

So far the Untold stories forum hasn't seen much action. I doubt it's because no one has any ideas. Most likely you're unsure of how to use the forum.

Hence I decided to throw out two scenarios that I would love to explore. And I am aware that both are fairly big ones, potentially involving all characters (well, most), and tons of threads.

Sauron's Triumph
This is a simple "what if" scenario in which Sauron regained the Ring. Yes, it would mean doomsday for Middle Earth, but I am pretty sure the free people (those who can't flee) won't just roll over and die. The truggle and character journeys should be interesting.

Female Heir(s)
We all know that Lord of the Rings, and Middle Earth in general is rather male centric, even though Tolkien did write in a number of exceptionally powerful women, too (none of them named Tauriel..).

It's clear that the throne of Gondor or Rohan always goes to the firstborn son. But what about a firstborn daughter? One who isn't content to just twiddle her thumbs. Or maybe there's a lack of male heirs?

This would be after the war of the Ring I think - maybe even way in the future, if you'd prefer.
PMEmail Poster
^
Celeborn Inactive
 Posted: Nov 8 2014, 00:41
Quote Post

Group: Inactive
Player: Becca
Character Page

I really like the idea of the "what if Sauron won." Especially with Celeborn being married to a Ringbearer. Both he and Eomer would not just roll over and let Sauron win. They both would die before they let him win.

But the female heir one also sound intriguing.
PM
^
Samwise
 Posted: Nov 10 2014, 10:13
Quote Post

Group: Hobbits
Player: Rowy
Character Page

Both these ideas are very intriguing. "Sauron's Triumph" sort of jumps out. It could involve every place in Middle-earth, including the Shire. There could be some interesting new alliances among the Free Peoples.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Faramir
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 14:49
Quote Post

Group: Men
Player: Chris
Character Page

Since this is the Au forum we would not even need to be too careful of keeping everything consistent either (although, knowing myself, I still will at least for the threads I am in).

So, for the Sauron's Triumph idea, who would participate, and with what characters?

I'd throw in all I have:

Faramir
Legolas
Thalion
PM
^
Celeborn Inactive
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 17:17
Quote Post

Player: Becca
Character Page

I would also toss in both my characters: Celeborn and Eomer.
PM
^
Pooka
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 18:20
Quote Post

Character Page

I'm not going to be too much help right at this point with plotting, but I'll throw in all three (soon to be four) of mine.

However, of course, the threads I'm actually meant to be participating in on the rest of the site must always come first. I do believe we'd all be agreed on that.
PM
^
Rowy
 Posted: Nov 14 2014, 22:07
Quote Post

Character Page

Certainly that's agreed. And I think I could throw in all my characters, too (2 of whom are quailing at the scary thought, but in they go anyway!). smile.gif

PM
^
Chris
 Posted: Nov 20 2014, 14:33
Quote Post

Character Page

Definitely agreed. I am starting a new topic for the Sauron's triupf idea to work out the details - and specific thread ideas.
PMEmail Poster
^
Faramir
 Posted: Nov 21 2014, 22:10
Quote Post

Character Page

Actually, when would we put the point where the "Sauron's triumph" scenario moves away from canon. The possibilities I can think of right away:

1) In ROK, when Frodo got captured, Sam didn't manage to free him, got caught himself and the Ring with him.

2) The Nazgul managed to get the Ring from Frodo on weathertop.

3) The Hobbits left too late and they didn't even make it out of the Shire.

Personally, if I had to chose, I would probably go with option 2, for the sake of a bit of variety.
PM
^
Faramir
 Posted: Nov 25 2014, 12:54
Quote Post

Character Page

Any opinions?
PM
^
Samwise
 Posted: Nov 25 2014, 19:41
Quote Post

Player: Rowy
Character Page

I'll go for Option 2 also. And Aragorn and all 4 Hobbits survive (so if we get players for Merry and Pippin, they'll have the option of joining in.)

I like the premise that all is "seemingly" lost, because I do believe Good will triumph ultimately, and if Sauron had his Ring once and lost it, there's always some possibility that he could lose it a second time.

PM
^
Frodo Inactive
 Posted: Nov 25 2014, 19:52
Quote Post

Player: Jean
Character Page

Both ideas are playable, most definitely.

But I want to point out something: Sauron getting the ring back does not necessarily mean he wins in the end. Because I am such a firm believer that evil simply cannot triumph--even if for awhile it seems to be doing just that--there would be a wrinkle, a time when Good triumphs simply because it must. Sauron, all powerful, is still subject to Murphy's Law in the shape of Good Excercising Its Muscle. I simply cannot believe that Sauron would win for long. Hope can never be extinguished. It simply can't! And while the fight of the good guys would be mighty, if there was no hope in actuality that they could win, well, it would be a matter of....it would be so depressing? I can't believe that a ring, no matter how controlling and Evil, could ever overcome good, even if the ring was not destroyed and found it's way back to Sauron.

I'd vote weathertop, Ringwraiths get it back but Frodo isn't stabbed with the morgul blade. The reason being that all focus would shift to the ring and getting it back and he cold succumb to his wound without getting the speedy aid he needs not to go 10-th Ringwraith on us.

If there's no definitive hope that Sauron-With-Ring would and could be bested, then kill Frodo of and that's how the baddies got the ring, because I could not play a story where there was no hope.

This post has been edited by Frodo: Nov 25 2014, 20:16
PM
^
Frodo Inactive
 Posted: Nov 25 2014, 20:13
Quote Post

Character Page

As for a female heir of Gondor, I'm all for it. I once had a character on another board who had a love-child with Boromir, who's mother Boromir had always planned to marry, and I believe this child was a daughter. I'm not suggesting that be done, but something like that--no male heirs would mean a female heir would have to rule, wouldn't it?

biggrin.gif And do a darn good job! *wink*

This post has been edited by Frodo: Nov 25 2014, 20:14
PM
^
Pooka
 Posted: Nov 25 2014, 21:07
Quote Post

Character Page

*points* I agree with Jean on the counts of the Sauron's Triumph idea. As for the heir one -- you already know my opinion on the matter, Chris. Or more, my ideas. Either description works. xD We know if we went with the Rohirrim or even just a child with a Rohirric mother/father, that it'd still be interesting while probably being simpler for them, considering Rohan's culture. It's really only become so tight-ass on what females are allowed to do since the time of Thengel.
PM
^
Frodo Inactive
 Posted: Nov 26 2014, 00:21
Quote Post

Character Page

....If you really want my 16 cents (inflation) worth, what about if the male heir wasn't suitable or was just downright ICKY but the 2nd in line or the icky one's queen was beloved? What if in ousting or having to lock up the baddie, the queen assumed the title in caps, and that's why the people decided it aint such a bad thing is it to have a lady ruler? And laws get changed so allow for a firstborn of any gender to take the throne? Couple that with a nice place like Rohan having *girls* as heirs and no boys, and you'd have 2 ways to look at the same idea in the same story! *looks around shyly* Well, I like it.
PM
^

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topic