Plot & Quick Links

We have closed. Thank you for all who have participated and made this place awesome!

Welcome! This is a Lord of the Rings roleplaying game based on the trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien (book verse).

Frodo and Sam failed in their quest to destroy the one ring. It is lost in Mordor, and the two Hobbits had no choice but to turn back. The fate of Middle Earth once more is undecided.

Full Plot
Rules
Getting Started
Thread Timeline
Needed Characters
Staff Contacts

Shoutbox

Affiliates

RPG-D
Forever Night

Vote for us!

Our Button
Affiliate with us

Site Stats

Humans:7
Elves: 2
Hobbits: 4
Dwarves: 2
Peredhil: 1
Istari: 1

Credits

The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion and the rest of the Middle Earth literature belong to JRR Tolkien and the Tolkien estate, not us. This forum is purely fan-made and for entertainment purposes only. Thank you for creating this wonderful world.

One Ring to rule them all..
Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

» Mixing Water And Oil, Gimli and Legolas become friends
Gimli
 Posted: Aug 20 2014, 17:53
Quote Post

Group: Dwarves
Player: Gimli
Character Page

Gimli was one who appreciated nature. The beauty of Lorien, though, had taken him by surprise. If it hadn't been for all the elves here, he likely would have been thoroughly content to wander the green, yellow, and golden wood for hours on end. How dare they blindfold him for the better part of the journey, to lead him like a dumb beast of burden and force him to miss the richness that was in this beauteous splendor.
Blasted elf kind and their unfriendly ways. Well, perhaps not all elf kind. Legolas, yes -- certainly. But the Lady was different.
From the first, he'd been smitten with her beauty. He was a dwarf, and he could recognize beauty when he saw it, whether mineral, organic, or elven. However, She was something altogether different from his recollection of elves and elf kind. She'd condescended to using his dwarven terminology, and had made it an apology. Of course, her husband had also apologized, but her empathy and depth of understanding was different. The understanding and the compassion she had shown him; that was something altogether out of the ordinary. It was pleasant, like a blast of clean, fresh air in the depths of a tunnel, and it was refreshing.
If only all elves could be like her, then dwarves might be able to forgive the many wrongs that were wrought by them.
But she'd looked into his eyes; she'd seen the bitterness in his heart, and the mistrust of the men and the elf. Companions they were, yes, but they were not his comrades.
He sat for a time after the others had fallen asleep. The little ones of course were snoring, and Boromir. Aragorn slept quietly, dignified and dangerous even in his repose.
The elf? Who could tell.
PMEmail Poster
^
Legolas
 Posted: Aug 26 2014, 11:39
Quote Post

Group: Elves
Player: Chris
Character Page

Legolas was enjoying a moment of solitude. This was something he had not thought about before, but since their departure from Rivendell, he had not once been away from his companions, Hobbits, Men, and Dwarf. Now he realized with no small amount of confusion that the need to get away from the latter especially wasn't as great as he would have expected.

Not only that, but he realized that in what for all of them must seem like a strange place, as glorious as it was, Legolas felt the need to stick close to his companion as much as everyone did. While he did not need as much sleep as they did, he did not stray far from the small camp set among the roots of the majestic trees. And quite regularly, he returned there to check on them, as unnecessary as that was.

He was surprised to find the Dwarf awake instead of drowning out everyone else's snores with his own.

"Are you having trouble sleeping?" Legolas asked, without taking the effort of announcing his presence first.
PM
^
Gimli
 Posted: Aug 26 2014, 19:03
Quote Post

Character Page

"Trouble Sleeping?" Gimli repeated gruffly. He had been wishing for a pipe and for his tobac, but no, he wasn't having trouble sleeping.
However, he choked back the retort he normally would have given and eyed the elf suspiciously. One fair elf breaking the mold did by no means count for any others, particularly this one. However, perhaps, for the sake of the Lady, he would try to be civil. Out of respect for her, not due to any merit on the elf's part.
"I am merely taking a moment to ponder the events of the day, young elf." Yes, the elf was probably centuries older than himself, but he looked barely older than a youth. If he took offense, it was nobody's fault but his own. Yet, there was something in the very ground that emanated compassion. Anger, frustration, and belittlement seemed not to fit in here.
After a long deliberation, he finally added.
"And you? Do elves not sleep when in the comfort of their own fair kind? Or, are you, as myself, caught up in the pondering of the recent events that have led up to this fair night?"
PMEmail Poster
^
Legolas
 Posted: Sep 14 2014, 17:05
Quote Post

Character Page

Of course Legolas had not expected an answer other than outright denial from Gimli. He knew the Dwarf well enough by now - not long ago he would have said Dwarves in general, but more and more he was paying more attention to the individual than the short stature and long beard. So yes, he knew enough to realize that a straightforward answer from Gimli would have meant something was very wrong.

Of course, in all honesty, things weren't much different the other way around.

"I amazes me, how little Dwarves notice, even if the evidence is right in front of their eyes day after day. Of course, you sent so much time snoring during our journey that I am not surprised you did not see me keep watch in the dark."

Legolas allowed himself an amused smile for a heartbeat or two, before he continued his explanation. "Elved do not sleep as much as your kind. Or Hobbits. Or Men."
PM
^
Gimli
 Posted: Sep 22 2014, 19:37
Quote Post

Character Page

Well, so much for attempting to be cordial in behalf of the Lady Galadriel. It was some comfort, though, that he had tried.

He scowled, and this time didn't try to hide the disdain from his voice. "I see that not all elves are as wise as the good lady of the wood."

But then her visage came to him again, and he bit back further insult, though it was a while before he spoke again.

"Indeed I knew that you slept but little, elf lad, but I thought that with the air and beauty of near kin, you would be less at your guard. I've had enough dealings with your kind to know you can't be trusted even when told by your own kind to be a companion. I slept not as much as you seem to think, knowing that you had the guard duty.

He hunched his shoulders and turned away from the elf. This place was too beautiful for such pettiness.
PMEmail Poster
^
Legolas
 Posted: Sep 30 2014, 21:34
Quote Post

Character Page

At this Legolas laughed, only slightly trying to restrain himself for the sake of their sleeping comrades. He himself was not entirely sure what exactly caused his mirth, but he enjoyed it nonetheless.

"I am unsure whether to believe that, good Dwarf. That is, unless you enjoy hearing yourself snore."

There was a momentary pause, during which Legolas looked over at the current snorers. For once, the sound did not make him flinch and fear they might be discovered.

"Everyone is sleeping so much more peacefully here; Even the young ones, whom I sometimes feared you couldn't wake even if a full horde of Orcs attacked. They deserve this reprieve. How long, do you think, will we stay here? Already I feel reluctant to leave."
PM
^
Gimli
 Posted: Oct 9 2014, 21:45
Quote Post

Character Page

Gimli was silent for a long time. He wanted the elf to leave him to his musings, but perhaps the tranquility that the land was working on him was making the elf more loquacious, though why he would accost a dwarf instead of one of his own kind, Gimli did not know.
He had been pondering much the same question, at any rate.
"We have a good deal of work still before us to do, that is for sure, elf." He hesitated before continuing.
"The land here has a way of soothing hurts. I know not but that we are strengthened here, for the journey that must be taken anon."
He turned only enough to cast a sidelong glance at the elf. "They do need the rest, and we all need to stiffen our resolves."
He released a deep, rumbling sigh and turned away from the elf again, looking off into the darkness.
"Yes, we do indeed need the rest." He rumbled again. "We will travel the faster for our waiting, I think. but our rest should not be over long, to my opinion of the way of things. I would as soon be here in peace of mind as well as body."
But he had somewhat forgotten the elf or his question.
"What say you?" he added, vaguely.
PMEmail Poster
^
Legolas
 Posted: Oct 23 2014, 11:54
Quote Post

Character Page

"I say the mind is in danger of finding peace here as well." Legolas answered, trying but not quite succeeding to keep fully serious. Whenever his thoughts turned brooding all he had to do was take a good look around and see the shadow lifted.

"I do not believe anyone will forget about the journey ahead, though. At any other time they might be tempted to simply stay. I would be."

In truth, he was, and would be sorry to leave very soon, before he had a chance to fully explore and experience the place. The peace of these woods was as much rest to his mind as sleep was to his companions. In time, then, they would be ready to face the road ahead once more.

"But we will leave. These past weeks have taught me one thing at least: None of the group will abandon the quest for mere personal comfort. You, of course, are probably looking forward to our departure, simply to get away from here."
PM
^
Gimli
 Posted: Oct 28 2014, 20:50
Quote Post

Character Page

The sudden openness, without any mockery, surprised the dwarf.
"No, the group will not abandon each other readily. We are all of us committed to our cause, though I fear we may yet not succeed in whatever task it is that we have before us."
He looked around again.
"But as different this place is from where I would like most often to choose my place of comfort, it still has quite an air of peace and comfort to it."
He turned back to the elf and looked at him critically.
"I do not believe I am as eager as you think. The journey is one that I undertake, with pride but not with eagerness. And the words of the Lady of the Wood, here, has given me an idea that the views held by many races about events both current and past, may be mistook as being of less import than they truly are."
PMEmail Poster
^
Legolas
 Posted: Nov 2 2014, 10:21
Quote Post

Character Page

It took Legolas a few moments to fully understand what the Dwarf was saying, because these words were so unexpected they first got tangled in his mind. "Is this a circumvent way of saying you might have been stubborn and unwilling to listen to point of views different from your own?"

Legolas was settling down comfortably now, with his legs stretched out and his back resting against a root of the mallorn that provided the group's shelter. How long had it been that he had this kind of conversation, without part of his awareness constantly stretching out, ready to fight for their lifes at a moment's notice?

"I know many who fit the description, but few who are aware of it. Fewer ever would admit to the habit, my father being the first on that list."

Smiling to himself, Legolas allowed his mind to wander for a bit. Thranduil was good king who always kept the best for his people first in his mind, but he could be fairly pig headed about how to achieve the goal. Many miles away and not involved in the daily dealings in Greenwood, Legolas found the trait a lot more endearing than when he was standing the the throne room, arguing.

"I am curious. What made you come to this conclusion?"
PM
^
Gimli
 Posted: Nov 7 2014, 07:16
Quote Post

Character Page

"Circumvent?" Gimli wasn't quite sure what the elf meant. "You mean that you think that I am saying I had views of elves and men that are incorrect?" He huffed, and glowered at Legolas. "I have seen many elves, and all to many of man who have proven my own opinions to be correct as stated. I was referring to the chasm that has arisen between the races and not about individual misunderstandings."
A sudden vision of Galadriel's disapproving look overcame him, and he fell silent.
Then, more circumspect, he continued. "The lady Galadriel spoke to me in the dwarven tongue, and showed that she understood the plight of my people."
For a time, he was silent again, debating whether to reveal further thoughts or not.
"Seeing her, and hearing her, made an impact that I have not felt from any being that was not a dwarf, and indeed, many that are dwarves could not have affected me so.
"Hearing her, I realized the implications of the fellowship we had forged.
"Not that I hadn't thought about it before, mind you," he added, before Legolas could say something biting and insensitive again.
"But Master Elrond and the wizard explained things differently, somehow. On a different plane of understanding, if you will.
"I don't expect you to understand what I mean." He didn't add, but thought, "But I do expect you to mock me for it."
PMEmail Poster
^
Legolas
 Posted: Nov 13 2014, 15:37
Quote Post

Character Page

For possibly the first time, Legolas smiled at the Dwarf, straight and without any ulterior motive. He was more relaxed than he had been in a long time, more open to letting his mind wander in unexpected ways, and it showed. Jesting included.

"Of course I will mock you for it. As an Elf of the Greenwood and my father's son it's my duty. Although, why we should continue our fathers' quarrels is a question worth asking. A better reason is that it might bore you if I didn't."

"I do understand that with this fellowship, we are doing in small scale what should be happening in Middle Earth everywhere; the free people must stand together if we are to be rid of Sauron and his darkness. There is no room for petty rivalries, and gems are found in the most unlikely places."

All the while, despite the graveness of the topic, Legolas' tone had remained in that hard to define space between serious and not quite jesting. Now, however, he stopped even that last hint of pretense, because he indeed meant every word as he said it.

"I becomes hard to keep up the insults if you keep saving each other's lives time and again, does it not?"
PM
^
Gimli
 Posted: Dec 18 2014, 18:44
Quote Post

Character Page

**justification note** Im in a hurry and way past due. sorry.

In spite of himself, Gimli released a bellowing snort of laughter.
"It does indeed, friend elf." Then Gimli realized what he had just said and glowered again. He'd not meant to call the elf a friend.
He sank back against the tree and unconsciously groped for his axe handle, furtively looking around as if expecting all the elves of Lorien to come swooping in with mocking laughter.
The feeling lasted only a moment before Gimli collected himself, but he couldn't bear to bring his eyes up to those of the elf he had just spoken to.
"Friend?" he depracated himself. Of all the fool words he could have spoken, he had to go and ruin the bond they were just beginning to forge by uttering the one impossible word to be exchanged between them.
Friend?? Humph . . . Not for Elf and Dwarf. At least, not in this age.
PMEmail Poster
^
Legolas
 Posted: Jan 1 2015, 22:07
Quote Post

Character Page

Here was another reason why it became hard to keep up the insults. They simply were not effective when you were laughing at the same time, and once Legolas allowed himself to be amused, he found that Gimli had a rare talent to make him smile.

It was clear from the Dwarf's reaction that the word had slipped out without intent, and as such was likely more honest than anything so far in this conversation. That was as much as surprise to the Elf than the word itself had been. No one had used it to describe any relationship between Dwarf and Elf for a long time, and that with good reason.

But then, it hadn't always been like that. Even Legolas could remember a time when there had been regular dealings and heavy trade between their people. Legolas could not even begin to guess Gimli's age, but from what he knew about Gloin, he estimated that the Dwarf could have been born during a more .. graceful time. Whether there was any recollection was a different matter, though. Even then hardly anyone would have used the word friend, though. Elves and Dwarves were too different to mesh well to start with, and history had not been helpful.

"That is a bold word to use, my friend." he said, trying out the sound of it himself. It still had a rather strange taste to it but still came out fluidly. "But I will not object. Many things have happened and been done these past few weeks that were unusual at the very least. Why shouldn't we add some more. It is long overdue, don't you think?"

He smiled again, this time happily, with just a hint of youthful mischief that told the story of an Elf who, by the standard of his own people, wasn't all that old yet. "What will my father say? Or yours."
PM
^
Gimli
 Posted: Jan 29 2015, 19:05
Quote Post

Character Page

"Bold word?" Gimli wondered. "Overdue?" What was this fool elf talking about? The word had escaped his lips as an accident, an oversight, a slip of the tongue. He would that his axe had slipped instead. It would likely have done less harm.

"What will my father say? Or yours."

He frowned, Legolas himself briefly forgotten as a result of the words he spoke. "Father?" he muttered. "Fathers?" The words did not seem to penetrate his comprehension.

He scowled at the elf. What did he mean by that?

Suddenly, he let out a loud exclamation of his disbelief. Not only was the elf accepting the word "friend," but he was accepting the meaning behind the word. Anger flared up in Gimli, but just as quickly, a vision of The Lady of the Wood quelled his anger, a breath to his candle-flame of resentment.

"Friend Elf?" he thought. "Friend. Elf."

He cleared his throat uncomfortably. They were not friends. Not . . . yet. But something had just changed between the two of them. He felt that.

He accepted it.

He glanced at Legolas again, then looked, unabashed. "Friend it may be, elf." He extended his hand. "Friend it may be."
PMEmail Poster
^

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topic